Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Barbie Cake

This was a fun little project I did for an adorable little girl in Quinn's Kindergarten class that was turning 6. I had never done a Barbie Cake before, but after hearing a friends nightmare experience with buttercream in a warm room sliding off the slippery Barbie torso, and creating an embarrassingly "R" rated candle blow out, I decided fondant would be best. Audrey and I had a blast trying out new fondant techniques...... the ruffling, draping and those cute "ribbon roses". Audrey watched a couple of YouTube tutorials (see below) and had it down! She did all the roses you see on the cake. I love that Audrey is getting older and is really turning out to be a girl after my own heart. We have so much fun together weather it's crafting, baking, shopping, reading, party planning or doing the dishes while we belt out some Taylor Swift or Barbra Streisand. (Oh yes Dad don't worry.... we're passing Babs on to a whole new generation!) I cherish all of our moments, it amazes me how easy they come. Is it naive to hope that our relationship stays this way through her teenage years???

1 comment:

  1. way better than the topless barbie cake i saw. and i too hope you and audrey have your same relationship into the teens. i kinda think you will. she seems like a gem through and through.

    ReplyDelete