Monday, January 7, 2013

The Girl's Room


My girls both have August birthdays and being in the new house they decided that they would forego the "big  friend party" and let Mom do a Room Make-over! 
This was such a fun project! After I had the plan down-pat, we arranged for the girls to go have a special sleepover at Nana and Grandpa's and then me Joe, and three of my sisters pulled what's affectionately called, an 'all-nighter!' 
Seriously thank you to Joe and my sisters! I know the girls were ecstatic at the big reveal, but it felt so good for me, to plan a project like this and then have 24 hours completely dedicated to accomplishing it. So special for me to see my ideas on the page come to reality before my eyes and know how much it would mean to the two little girls we were creating it for! 

Tiffany Blue was the primary color and I added some soft pink and some splashes of bright fuschia to bring an obvious femininity to the room. The existing walls were cream, and so we used both a clean white and the cream for a sort of updated more juvenile version of shabby chic. I looked at about 100 different tree murals before I decided to go this direction. I loved the sophistication of the silhouette look but wanted something whimsical at the same time. Hence the leaves floating away. (I'm afraid my poor photography skills won't do this cute room justice.)

There were so many awesome little projects........like this cute lace framed earring holder.

... And these great prints Joe found. Audrey is a big Jane Austin fan!





Had to have this lamp when I saw it at Ikea for this re-purposed night table. This is perfect for Audrey's late night reading habits!

Gave some of the simple white furniture in the room a special touch with the hand painted knobs. (I did these a few days ahead of time.)

This little configuration hangs above Stella's bed. We wanted a little visual piece of each of their name-sake in the room somewhere. It's kind of hard to see from this pic, but the top is one of my favorite Audrey Hepburn photos and the bottom is Marlon Brando with "Stella" in Street Car Named Desire.  


The ribbon chandelier turned out so cute!

And the covered switch plate tied in some patterns we used subtly around the room. All in all a success!

No comments:

Post a Comment